Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Rest in Peace, Papa.

My Papa passed away the day before we left for Florida.  Fortunately, they waited to have his memorial until I got back into town.  So as soon as we got back this past Saturday from Florida, I had to turn around the next morning and head to Rockwall for the memorial service.  It was a sad way to start the week, but at least we had many happy memories with our beloved Papa.  Now he's looking down on us with no pain or suffering anymore.

"Rest in peace, Papa.  I’m comforted by the many great memories I had with you walking from Dobbs Elementary everyday to a fresh sliced watermelon, riding home with you from school after your crossing guard duties, playing in the garden, looking at your catch of the day in the live tanks.  You’re the reason I have the love for raw onions, home grown pickles, tomatoes, and fried catfish.  I will always remember riding in the golf cart around the marina with you, your stories about us as babies, and every time I watch Wheel of Fortune, I’ll smile and think of you.  I’ll remember drift fishing on Saturdays and crappie fishing on Sunday mornings.  I’ll always hear you say “I gotcha a watermelon” and “I love you, too, baby.”
I’m so thankful and blessed to have had a man like you in my life and for all the many happy moments we’ve shared.  We will always love you greatly and miss you dearly.  Hope you are right next door to Tiny."  (Speech we read at the memorial written by Blake, Bonnie, & I)
My cousin, Joey, and I after the memorial.

My Dad with his brother, Glen

No comments:

Post a Comment