Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bad Case of the Mondays

Yesterday was a pretty rough day around the Volker house.  It started off with me breaking my toe rushing around the house to get socks and shoes on to take Braylon outside before it rained.  That didn't happen when I kicked the dumbell lying on the floor, heard my toe pop, screamed some profane words, then looked down to see a crooked toe. 

Then the second part of the day, I went out (or I should say "limped out") to get the laundry and saw Duke hobbling around the outside of the fence trying to make his way back in the yard.  I knew something was wrong with how slow he was walking and the limp, so I couldn't stay mad at him for escaping.  I got him back in the yard, put the other two knuckle heads in their kennels, and tried to get a good look at Duke.  His front right leg was pretty mangled and bleeding and he had scratches and bites all over him.  Poor, old Duke still thinks he's young enough to hold his own against other dogs, but that obviously isn't the case.

I called Brad and told him he needed to come home.  Meanwhile, I was laying with him on the back porch as he was shaking and looking very sad, tired, and defeated.  Thank goodness Braylon took a LONG nap yesterday.  Duke got into the vet around 4:00pm yesterday and they wanted to keep him over night with an IV to make sure he didn't go into shock.  He's still there as I write this, and I have not heard an update.  I will keep you posted.

It's the one next to the pinkie.

This doesn't even do justice to how bad his leg was.  I will spare you the details.

Look at that sad face :(  Thank God he was able to make it back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment